AN IDEAL SPOT
Our guest house is only 5 minutes’s drive from the Gallo-Roman town of Vienne and 20 minutes away from Lyon. The region, traversed by the Rhône river, is an open-air museum in itself.
The village of Ampuis is a cardinal point for escapades in all directions : the
Pilat natural park to the west, The Côtes du Rhône wine region to the south, the
Roman and Medieval monuments of Vienne to the east, and the city of Lyon,
designated as the French capital of gastronomy, to the north.
♣ To the west : The Pilat Natural Park is run on a regional basis. For nature
lovers. Ideal for walks, rides and treks.
♣ Also visit L’Ile du Beurre :
♣ To the south : The Côtes du Rhône wine region which includes the following appellations: Côte-Rôtie, Condrieu, Saint-Joseph, Hermitage, Croze-Hermitage, Cornas and Saint-Peray.
Further down you reach Avignon (Cité des Papes), renowned for its medieval history and famous surrounding vineyards such as Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas, Vacqueyras, Beaumes-de-Venise, Rasteau, Tavel.
♣ To the east :VIENNE
- The Roman temple of Augustus and Livia, very well-preserved, lies in the old historical center of Vienne
- The Cathedral of Saint-Maurice, which combines romanesque and gothic
architecture, partly built with stones taken (at an early stage) from Roman monuments
- The ruins of the local senate house, in the middle of a hillside parc (les Jardins de Cybèle)
- The ancient theatre, still in use today, hosts the famous annual jazz festival
in July. It lies at the foot of the Pipet hill (the top of which offers a panoramic view)
- The Roman museum of Saint-Romain-en-Gal, which is really worth a detour.
♣ To the north : LYON and “le vieux Saint-Jean”, its old pedestrian district with cobblestoned alleyways aligned with 17th century façades. A must-see (and a must-taste) for its gastronomic cuisine. Walks along the river banks.
CULTURAL AND ARTISTIC EVENTS
- Jazz à Vienne – “Jazz à Vienne”, a grand summer festival in Vienne which has
been welcoming famous jazz bands and musicians for over 30 years. More info
- The Berlioz Festival of Classic Music . More info
- Le Festival des Lumières a 4-day festival taking place in Lyon around 8th December, with outdoor visual effects on a grand scale (interplaying lazer lights and so on), which had originally a religious significance. More
- La Biennale de la Danse, a dancing festival in Lyon . More
- La Biennale Internationale du Design, in St. Etienne
EXHIBITIONS AND FAIRS
- Pollutec International Fair, a fair devoted to the development of anti-pollution and eco-friendly industrial equipement. More
- SIRHA (Salon International de la Restauration, Hôtellerie et Alimentation), a renowned international fair dedicated to hotel business and food and catering industry. More